As early as 1876 the Swedish people of Hudson, having no church of their own, and being interested in church work, attended services in the Norwegian Lutheran Church.
In 1884, Rev. A.F. Tornell, who was pastor in Stillwater, held the first Swedish services here. Mr. Warner, a lay-preacher from Stillwater, also visited Hudson and conducted services.
In 1887, the Norwegian Ebenezer Church was built and the Swedish people upon invitation from the Norwegian pastor Rev. Melland, held their services there until the time they could build a church home of their own.
It was in December 1893, that Rev. A. Bengtson, who was serving Star Prairie and New Richmond, was asked to come to Hudson every third Sunday and preach. Under his leadership and guidance the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Zion Church was organized on January 7, 1895, with a membership of forty communicants and forty-six children.
In 1897, our congregation was received into the Minnesota Conference and the Augustana Synod.
The Ladies Aid Society purchased the church lot in 1897 at a cost of $250. In 1898, plans for the building of the church were drawn and the work commenced. Upon the completion of the basement, services were held there. In 1901, the superstructure was built and Christmas Matins were held in the completed sanctuary that year. In 1910, the parsonage was built on the lot south of the church to be the residence of the pastor and his family.
In 1968, the congregation relocated to our current church building at 13th and Summer Streets. The old Zion Church was sold to the St. Croix Valley Arts Guild.
With the move to the hill top area of Hudson, the name of the congregation was changed from Zion Lutheran to Mt. Zion Lutheran.
Mt. Zion's 40th anniversary of ministry at the corner of 13th and
Summer Streets in Hudson. Special guests gathered with Pastor
Brian for this photo. Front row: Pastor Ron Stanley (1963-1970)
and Pastor Keith Pearson (1970-1978). Back row: Carl Sandberg
(Grandson of Rev. Kjellgren 1915-17), David Borg (Son of Rev.
Borg 1946-54), Pastor Bill Montgomery (2004), and Pastor Brian